From The Green continue towards the White Hart on the corner furthest from St Mary’s and turn right into Church Street.
In 1662, John Bentley of Richmond, Surrey, provided in his will for a free school for boys. The trustees chose Calne for its location.
The former school room is seen here overlooking this part of Church Street, which was the main road into Calne before New Road was built in 1802. The stone pillars in the wall are reminders of a school entrance. The later John Bentley School was, in 2019, renamed Kingsbury Green Academy.